Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Weight Gain

Since I failed the first glucose test (to check if I have gestational diabetes, GD) I got concerned about delivering a big baby...after all, this is my first birth and doing it all natural seems scary if the baby is bigger than my opening...concerns of tearing or a head stuck in the path, is not a pleasing thought! I tried accomodating a diet that cuts out sugar (even though I wasn't big on sugar to begin with) but I'm suspecting that my German husband may have passed on some genes that enables a bigger baby than a typical Asian-sized baby (I may be completely wrong, but who knows).

Most resources provided the following information regarding healthy weight gain. Women are expected to gain typically between 25-35lbs (11kg - 15kg). If you look at the chart I built below, I am not within the estimated range that I am suppose to fall into. As it is, I am presently 31weeks pregnant and have gained a whopping 32lbs, but I still have at least 8weeks more to go! Most people look at me and will agree that majority of my weight gain is shown on my belly, but personally, I do feel some chubsters hanging onto my thigh & butt.
  • Baby: 8 pounds
  • Placenta: 2-3 pounds
  • Amniotic fluid: 2-3 pounds
  • Breast tissue: 2-3 pounds
  • Blood supply: 4 pounds
  • Stored fat for delivery and breastfeeding: 5-9 pounds
  • Larger uterus: 2-5 pounds
  • Total: 25-35 pounds
I don't think I am eating more than I am supposed to - I snack healthily (except on weekends when I see Caleb) with baby carrots, string cheese, yogurt, fruit and hard boiled eggs, and I break up my meals into smaller portion so I don't eat three big meals. I just got done with my 2nd GD test (which was super no fun - 12hours of fasting before the first blood draw, and then a continued 3hour fasting for the next 3blood draw) and am anxiously awaiting the results. If all goes well, I probably will opt out of the test for the next pregnancy; I figured I should at least take the test once since all 4 of my grandparents have diabetes!

After all that is said and done, it is in God's hands and I pray for a healthy & safe delivery. Of course I have to still do my part of eating healthily. A recent article I read said that doing perineal massage helps prevent tearing, so I think I will consider doing that (and probably increase my kegel exercises!) 

3 comments:

  1. How come u can fail the first glucose test?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They say 80% of people fail the first one, but I passed the 2nd one, so I don't have GD! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's great news...so yay for you =)

    ReplyDelete